Thursday, May 20, 2010

Service Engine and Grace

Sometimes when you have the whole day ahead of you all planned out...Someone just may have a different plan for you.  I had big plans today...dump, walk, beach. In that order. After dealing with a HUGE leak in my basement from the sprinkler system...loaded the car for the dump..... this happened. SERVICE ENGINE. So what did Griffy and I do?

I was able to take a quick picture of the Robins Eggs in our shrub out front. Mama Bird was not happy. I don't blame her. I wouldn't want some big honkin human messin with my babies either. Then we went out back to hang out in the sun.





Lately we've been trying to teach the kids that in life...it's not WHAT your dealt with...it's HOW you deal with it. Very often easier said than done depending on the hand you've been dealt. But, you have a choice. You can handle it by kicking and screaming...or with grace and dignity. Believe me, many days I want to...and  have...kicked and screamed. I'm still learning too. And in the process...trying to be a role model for my own children in how they'll handle LIFE.

I think of my Mom today and how she's handled this latest hand she's been dealt with. I'm proud of you Mom.

13 comments:

  1. Pam, today's post was wonderful. With all the lovely pictures it was as though you took me along with you on your day. I'm kind of glad the engine light went on. Or is that being too selfish? I always tell my kids your feelings aren't bad, its what you do with them that will make the difference one way or another.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just hope the van is fixable. And that you're not cursed with another sprinkler flood. And that you get to the beach SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a serious post, but my mind just stopped working when I saw those baby arms in the last picture...he is SO squishy looking. Are you sure you don't want to bring him to AZ? I'll hold him the entire retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT life lessons here Pammy!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam you were talking to me today. I needed this lecture more than your kids. Thank you dear! Now let me say that I have never seen arms quite like those...pure eatable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you...Professor Pam! I'm just sayin...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a rough week! sprinkler system & engine light~ugh! Griffy is so cute!! still praying for you & your Mom~very sweet Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  8. pam,
    who knows what that "service engine" light might have saved you from today... a silver lining you may never know.
    i am finally a "follower" & i'm loving playing catch-up with your beautiful blog...
    just caught a glimpse of mr. g after his papa dressed him. so funny of you to snap a picture of that! (hope steve can find the humor!)
    you've been on my mind, sista.
    glad to hear that your mom's surgery went well. you are a really good daughter.
    ♥ catie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big Hugs Pam!!! So sorry to hear your mom is going through a reoccurance. It is good to hear she was able to have surgery, as this usually means it hasn't spread. You are in my thoughts. My mom is taking a break from her chemo, and I really believe her ironclad will and upbeat attitude has gotten her far in this whole CA world. I am not sure if I could hang as tough as they do.

    I've been so crazy lately I haven't been able to keep up with the blog-- cool to read several entries. Everything else (beside the engine light) sounds life is going well. I can't believe Griffin will be a year soon. He is just the sweetest baby. I actually happen to treasure the toddler thing more than most people. I envy that you get to do it all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. pam, just caught up on your posts. as always - beautiful photos and writing. i loved today's message - it's not what your dealt with, it's how you deal with it. it's soo true!

    glad to hear your mom is doing well. i've been thinking of you and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. take care and have a lovely friday ♥

    p.s. yes to the silly band craze - they were just banned from my 2nd grade daughter's class b/c kids were playing with them too much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We Moms sure do have an important job don't
    we! :)
    You turned what could have been a bummer of a day into a beautiful memorable one! The lesson of turning lemons into lemonade is never an easy one, but sure is an important one!
    Thanks for the reminder...
    Enjoy the day!

    P.S.
    loving those baby arms too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely love that saying, too. I am writing it down for my fridge!
    Way to live it out!
    :) Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amen. Loved the shot of Griffy's little baby chub! I could just squeeze him...delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete