Friday, May 14, 2010

On Delegating

What do you see wrong with this picture? All you moms out there may recognize that Griffy's onesie is on the OUTSIDE of his pants. Can you guess who got him dressed this morning? No..not one of the other kids...his Dad.

Steve doesn't do a lot of diaper changing, bathing, feeding  and obviously clothes changing of the baby. It's really not his fault. I don't do a lot of delegating around here. That needs to change.

See, when it comes to my babies...at least for the first year..I've taken care of all their needs. I nursed all my babies 24 hours a day so Steve couldn't really help out there even if he wanted to. His work has always included a lot of travel so that's excuse #2. And excuse #3 is that I hoard the baby all to myself!

I can't do it all. Nor should I. But for some reason I lack in the delegation department. Am I that vain that I feel nobody else can do as good a job? Or is it just quicker for me to just get it done myself?

4 kids later... I'm still learning.


11 comments:

  1. Oh boy can I relate to this post. I was really bad about doing it all my self or backseat driving when I did finally delegate. It's hard to let go and let someone take charge, but deep inside you need and want it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on this. No one can do it as well as I can, but . . .
    Sometimes the kids just have to not match and sometimes we need to let go.
    The pot calling the kettle black here.
    And I bought the most darling calla lilies at the grocery store today. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one hits home for me. I was thinking about how terrible I am at delegating. I have a friend who is a master at it, but it just does not come easily to me. It would be in my best interest but something stops me. I'm not sure what? Most of the time its just easier to do it myself and I'm too lazy to take the time to train my kids. Its as though your post was a little nudge for me to start getting serious about this with my family. Thank you,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's quicker and it's done the way we like it...but sometimes we gotta let go...and let the clothes be worn wrong and the hair be a mess. It's just better if we're not there to see it.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I laughed when I saw that photo because I have a nearly identical one taken last year after my husband dressed my son the same way as yours did! :)

    I also struggle with delegation. It's nice to know that it's not just me being a control-freak...from reading the comments, it seems a pretty universal "Mom-thing."

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all good for you realizing you need help and need to delegate. If you don't you will just get a little resentful you are doing it all. And nobody wants that! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you know you have to do this! No one is realy Wonder Woman nor should we be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is just making me chuckle! i luv it! maybe Steve will start a new trend?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is so dear and sweet! I love how you're thinking of it, and I just adore Griffy's little charming self, with the fuzz of hair in the back and the dimple in his chin...could he be any cuter? So glad you left the onesie this way...at least for the photo...and that you are considering ways to ease your load a bit. I'm working on that too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously I just snorted from laughing. My husband won't even button a onesie (3 kids later) he just leaves them flapping outside of the pants. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel your pain. Me too!!! I've nursed all 6, and being a Navy wife then a pastor's wife, either job meant him being called away at a moment's notice sometimes, therefore, I just did it. Now he's disabled and I don't have the option. Wish I'd taken advantage of it sooner....still learning....though. Griffy is rockin' the onesie on the outside look , maybe he'll start a new trend....I'm just sayin' ......sooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete