Monday, March 15, 2010

My uniform

So after feeling sorry for myself about having no friends, I called up my good friend Kerry  who lives a few towns over and we met for lunch this weekend. She has a daughter that is Hannah's age and they are great friends too. We met at this outside mall, did some shopping and then had lunch. And can I just say...she is one hip chick that Kerry. It was pouring rain and she and her daughter were decked out in THE cutest raingear..hats, boots, jackets...man I want to be like her. She could totally be a personal shopper. I could use one right about now actually. I think I dress ok when I'm at my normal weight...it's this transitional phase I'm in that's killing me. Boy have I made some bad purchases recently. One day I was so fed up with having absolutely nothing to wear I took myself to the Gap. I spent most of my time there in the dressing room...half dressed, nursing the baby, crying. Pathetic. The girl kept knocking on the door saying.."Ma'am...are you ok?"...First of all..please don't call me ma'am. Please. I know it's polite...but just don't. Call me Pam..it's close enough to ma'am. Anyway, I left there with a bunch of crap I don't intend to wear and doesn't even fit. 

I just need a uniform. Something I can blindly put on in the morning without having to think about it. Something that is comfortable, stylish, not too expensive and maybe I can get it in a few different colors..you know, to mix it up a bit. Maybe I'll even get a nametag.   

10 comments:

  1. Ah the mom uniform...I know it well. For many years it was a pair of jeans and a black turtleneck, long sleeve t or short sleeve t depending on the weather. This year I've switched it up a lot. At a transition weight myself, I've found that skirts work well...but then it's easy to gain a pound or two and not even know it! I've made it through Winter in my happy skirts, crazy colored tights and boots...and I've loved the little switch in my wardrobe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accent the positive. That is my mantra. I just spent many hours with a very good friend & we went through everything in her closet. She carries all her weight in her middle & has decided she isn't going to lose it anytime soon. So what we found works for her is scoop & v-neck tops. (She was wearing tops that were loose but made her look 3 sizes larger)

    If I was nearby we would do a wardrobe re-org. So here is what you need to do: find a few pieces that accent your positive. Buy a few pieces in a few colors (only your best colors). Your body will change & you don't need to invest a lot of money to look good. Also find a piece of jewelry (my mom says 1 very attractive piece) that will go with many outfits. I have found great (inexpensive) necklaces/bracelets @ Kohl's, Target & Claires. People are always astounded when they find out where I got them.

    So you will need a few out fits that can go from grocery to PTA meeting to church. I prefer nice t-shirts (can be Kohl's, Target or Nordstrom's has a huge selection that are 2/$35) with a great pair of jeans & a sharp jacket & elevated ballet slipper in a neutral color. Once the outfit is together, have someone take a picture of it. Print the pictures & leave it in your closet for quick reference. This will work really well & you won't even have to think if you have had a long night with Griffy! Sorry this is so long! Hope it helps:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just adorable! Love the way you write...it's like having a conversation with you. xoxo Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam...I love you...you have a gift for writing. I love the advice from the two girls above. I think also, instead of buying a bunch of things that you eventually will not fit into when you get to your "ideal" weight, find a great pair of jeans that fit you well, spend a little more on them, so they just look nice. I agree with Cathy, t-shirts in classic colors and then you can layer with a vest, jacket, sweater if you need to. Do you have a pair of leopard flats?? I swear, they look cute with ANYTHING, and totally jazz up an outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your honesty here Pam. And I agree with Dawn. Get some cute leopard flats and they will bring your jeans and tees to a whole new level!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam! I love you, you are so sweet:) I seriously got choked up when I read this! Then was laughing hysterically at the end about your Gap dressing room experience. I so enjoy getting together with you, and am so glad that we live so close! You let me know when you are ready to do some shopping, and I will be your sidekick:) BTW, you always look like a million dollars!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a wonderful writer indeed, totally agree. Have a wonderful week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - you are SUCH a gifted writer. It sounds like you got some great "uniform" advice above -get those leopard flats and you'll feel instantly stylish. I'm so glad you had a fun outing with a good friend - sounds like it was just what the doctor ordered. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I'm doing this same thing right now, right? Except there's a wedding in 28 days (but who's counting, right?). It's all in the shoes. Your feet don't really change shape, so indulge, and if they're cut enough, people won't notice the baby urp on your shoulder (at least that's what I keep telling myself).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, dear friend....love "listening" to you SO much! I'd go w/Denise: wear those leopard flats. Grrrrr. You'll be feeling frisky! Fo sho!

    ReplyDelete