Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My obsession

Anyone that knows me knows that I'm pretty obsessed with pantries. Oh do I love a well stocked, organized, pretty pantry! After Steve finished the powder room I begged him (again) if he'd paint my pantry. I told him I wanted the walls red and the shelves high gloss black. He really wasn't going for it but he wasn't about to argue with a very pregnant woman.  So, he took the doors off and went to work. I love how it looks. Yes, it takes a bit of time to keep it looking that way..but it's my thing and I don't mind.  When I'm in the mood to organize, this is where I go. We won't eat for two days because Mom has taken everything out of the pantry..again..to rearrange.

It's still a work in progress. Something has to be done with the linoleum flooring...I want to paint the bins on the floor...and my quest for everything in glass jars and a label on it is ongoing. Every trip to Target brings me one step closer. I did find a cool thing at Target recently...a cereal dispenser..like when you're at a hotel breakfast buffet!

When I come home from the grocery store I take a lot of our foods out of the packaging and put it either in a bin, glass jar, etc. I can't help think about how much waste there is in packaging. Wouldn't it be cool to just bring your container when it's empty and fill it at the store? I love going to Whole Foods and looking at the miles and miles of containers of nuts, oats, grains. One time when Steve and I were on date night we went to Whole Foods. I'm not kidding. I love it there.

My dream pantry is a walk-in with floor to ceiling shelving and a screen door. I'd probably hide out in there if I had that...."Mom's in the pantry again"....I love the sound of that. I don't need long soaks in a lavender filled bathtub...just let me hang out in my pantry.

~ "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"~ William Morris

11 comments:

  1. William Morris has always been one of my favorites--ever since I discovered him during my junior-level Victorian England and the pre-Raphaelites Humanities class.
    And the pantry--girl, way to go. Someday I'll have to post a picture of my pantry. I just can't seem to keep my little boy mice out and it looks like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice post. I am glad my pantry has a door on it! Yours looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you not love a red pantry? I'm still not done with mine either!! I love your high gloss black shelves. Still looking for baskets and such, and some kind of wallpaper for the shelves. It's taking awhile!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I've never thought to "decortate" my pantry, but you've inspired me! I like to clean out and reorganize my pantry from time to time, butI may have to take it to the next level and paint it sometime.

    It looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is beautiful but I would have to use doors...seeing everything would drive me crazy. I love that you love pantries so much...you must be a great cook. I admire your organization.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your top shelf is really cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am not sure how i found your blog...one of those days when i go from blog to blog. I am loving your pantry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your pantry! And that Morris quote is one of my all time faves! Two great things in one post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dar-ling pantry. You are so creative and fortunate to have a hubby that rips pantry doors off for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have that same jumper for Ruby. We call it her spaceship. What a great combo in 1. She LOVES it!
    I am glad to find your blog too. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete