Tuesday, August 30, 2011

We've Been..


Powerless...Irene came on Sunday and took our power with her.
No damage to our home..just some small trees down.
It was a fun and productive day!
While we had daylight, Steve hung pictures for me!
Finally, the big empty space behind the couch is being filled.
My "London Wall" as inspired by Tracy Porter. 
We had dinner with our neighbors..
and then came home and played games and read by candle light.
We've been lucky to have our power restored as most of the town still does not.
The first day of school was even pushed back a day.
Hoping Irene went easy on everyone!


Crafting...Griffy and Will painted rocks
Hannah stamped all of our names on some to use as place settings.


I love them!


Playing..in the sink.
He loves it in there.
Griffy is talking so much lately.
I just love his little voice.


Reading...ok. I have been reading so much.
So many great books this summer!
I'm trying to get them all in before the puppy comes.
I get seriously cranky if I can't read.
Last night, I finished Anna Quindlen's Every Last One.
Bawling.My.Eyes.Out.
I can't tell you the last time I cried so much over a book.
Even though it was really really sad
I highly recommend it.
I also just finished 
What Alice Forgot.
It's not pictured here because I finished it on the Vineyard
and left it for my mom.
There is a link to it over there on my sidebar.
Read this book!!
It's about a woman who goes to a spin class at the gym
falls off and forgets the last ten years of her life.
She wakes up thinking she's 29, happily married and pregnant with her first child.
She's really 39, going through a divorce and has 3 kids that she doesn't remember.
Great read!
I just finished The Winter of our Disconnect as well.
I picked it up on the Vineyard.
It was displayed at the check out and it was an impulse buy.
The check out girl said she read it and loved it.
I didn't love it.
I love the idea of disconnecting for 6 months.
No screens at all.
And that was what this woman did with her 3 teenagers.
And after reading about them..they needed it.
None of us are on Facebook, Twitter, or are "Gamers"
I think I do a pretty good job of monitoring the screens in our home.
So...
could you go 6 months with out screens?

A few people have asked me when I read.
This summer I got a lot of my reading done on the beach.
The older kids entertain the baby
(notice how I still refer to him as the baby.)
We would also have quiet time
when the baby was napping
and I could read for 2 hours then!
(not a lot of housework done during that time)
And I read at night. 
What are you reading?
I have 2 1/2 weeks until..
Gus, Tucker, Remy (RemDog), (Steve and the kids like that one..and if you are a Sox fan you'd get it)
Charlie...
shows up.
Trying to get all my reading in!!










9 comments:

  1. I will check out your book recommendations!
    I've just started Charles Dickens "A Tale of Two Cities".
    I've been trying to read at least 2 classics a year.
    I love everything about being without power (really forces you to be creative and to be grateful) except for no A/C and the food in fridge can spoil quickly! Glad you are okay and your power outage didn't last long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you surived Irene! I am definitely going to check out What Alice Forgot. I am about 20 pages away from finishing Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. It's a true story but reads like a novel. If I had the time, I think I would have read it all in one sitting - it's an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irene wasn't too bad up by you, was it? I hope you stay with power and dry.

    I didn't realize Stephen was home. Is he more grown up than when he left? Glad you have all your chickens under your wing again. Lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We lost power for 32 hours. I was actually hoping we could be powerless for a little while I thought it would be fun but I couldn't relax enough to enjoy it especially at night.
    I see you have Heaven is for Real on your book table. Have you started the book? What do you think? This is now the 4th time someone has mentioned the book in some way to me. I am not sure if I should read it or not. I don't know if I would continue to heal and have questions answered or if it would set me back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your picture frames. And thanks for the A. Quindlen book recommendation...I like her and haven't read that one. Griffy is so cute in that sink...I love that he still fits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just finished Heaven is for Real, I hadn't expected to enjoy it so much. I'm into Lisa Genova's Left Neglected right now, what a thought-provoker. Read her first novel, Still Alice, a few years ago and have anxiously awaited this one. Thanks for the Anna Q. recommendation -- I love her work so much and haven't read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the book recommendations - I put a few on my to read list! Glad to hear you are getting in lots of summer reading! And good luck with the new pup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. curious what game the kids are playing in the picture. We lost power for 5 days and we ran out of games to play...always looking for tried and true suggestions. and yes, I could stay disconnected if it wasn't for work. The times I got to a wifi location I only worked, I didn't even bother looking at FB or personal email...so I could live without it once I adjusted. And honestly, the kids were fine without tv - the weather was gorgeous. At night, once the novelty of our board game playing time ran out, we would use the portable dvd players a couple of the nights, but that is it. I have to say though, I'm happy to hide the "Zingo" from my youngest - we played that a million zillion times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes so loving that I kept on reading to find your reading suggestions! I am an avid reader too and my bedside table is taking over my table, floor, chair etc.

    Unfortunately our Borders just closed this week but I did manage to buy a gazillion more books that my husband cringed over. I love books more than shoes, so I guess he likes that more.

    So going to have to check out some of these books, maybe I'll just download them on my Ipad so I can get reading.

    Megan

    http://1funkywoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete