Thursday, September 23, 2010

Pay Back


So here's a funny story for ya. A couple weeks ago I'm in Target with the baby and a woman approaches me. She's asking me how old Griffy is, what his name is etc. She has a baby with her not much older than mine plus a whole gaggle of kids following her. I say to her.."Wow, and you're having another". She said no and walked away. Crap. I could not get out of that store fast enough. I SWEAR, in my own defense, this woman looked 9 months pregnant. I felt like crap the rest of the day. Here comes the funny part in this story...or at least you'll think so..I'm still in tears. After a VERY trying morning..I go to Target (yes, I know, again...the same store no less. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson)...and I'm starting to feel better. Found a cute Halloween costume for Griffin..some cute Frye boot knockoffs for me..drinking my Pumpkin Spice latte from Starbucks..my day is looking up! I go to checkout and the cashier boy is over the top friendly... asking me how my day was...chatting with Griffy...blah blah blah. Are you ready for this? He says to me..." Is this your first GRANDCHILD?"  I literally froze. And then I looked at him and said.."Dude, I'm Forty freakin two..not 62." And I left. In tears. And then I started laughing. Pay back.


* I have to add...that when I said to the "non-pregnant" woman.."wow, you're having more"..I said it like.."wow,  you're so lucky..I wish I was having more"....

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!!! Hopefully he felt like crap the rest of the day.
    I have learned (by getting burned) not to ask...even when it seems so obvious that someone is pregnant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom had my sister when she was 42...and she has always gotten the GRANDMA question. But, YOU....do NOT look like a grandma! I mean, come on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am 37 and was asked recently if I was the grandma of my 2 year old. Took me days to get over it! Sorry it happened to you. It's frustrating/sad/funny at the same time.

    I'm not sure I'm even over it yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness....go back and get another latte, or a glass of wine! You look so young!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No words, just smiles and a few tears.
    We're not old, dangit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Pam...I love you AND all your stories...AND your sense of humor!!

    You are my girl...target, Pumpkin spice latte and fry knock off's (did you get the short ones??)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh MY Gosh!! What a day. That is just classic. I would have been laughing and crying at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps...loved Unaccustomed Earth, and almost done with Little Bee. Did you see Tracy mentioned LB not too long ago, she loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh no! i think the best thing to do is laugh and you certainly do not look like a grandma. just a stupid kid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Pam, thanks for the good laugh! My SIL had her first and only chid at 41 and often got the grandma comment. xoxoxo Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  11. pam ~
    just so you know...
    whenever marian is trying to figure out if i'm talking about you, she says, "you mean the girl who's really young & pretty?"
    she thinks you're 25.
    i swear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. awww, i love catie's comment! i read this last week and have chuckled about it (sorry?!) several times since. i have sooo put my foot-in-mouth many times. been there! have you ever seen the saturday night live target skit? i always think of that when i check out at target (yes, sometimes twice in one day!)...pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete